PC power supply conversion question

From: Mike Benedict <benedict_m_at_palmer.edu>
Date: Thu Apr 15 1999 - 14:21:51 EDT

Greetings,

I'm considering replacing the linear supplies in some of my games with PC
switchers that I've accumulated over the years. The question is, do most
folks remove the switcher board from the enclosure and just directly mount
it somewhere in the game, or do you leave it in its enclosure for the
forced air cooling?

Another thought, with some games being more fussy than others about seeing
5.05-5.10 at the chips, is this ever a problem after a switcher conversion
since the switcher doesn't allow you to adjust/compensate for voltage loss
across the wiring harness, connectors, etc.? For that matter, do switchers
consistently meter at any particular voltage? I just checked one in a PC
under load and it read 5.17.

Or should I find something more deserving to worry about? :-)

Thanks,
Mike Benedict