RE: PC power supply conversion question

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Fri Apr 16 1999 - 18:07:57 EDT

> > I also have a Tron and Discs of Tron both running on switchers.
> The
> > trick there is to use the Switcher for the 5v and leave the original
> PS
> > for the 12v. I had the same trouble with the loud audio hum when
> using a
> > switcher for everthing.
>
> Why bother with the switcher, then? Linear supplies are among
> the
> easiest things to fix, and you're not getting rid of it anyway, so why
> put
> the switcher in there?

Switchers have a lot of advantages depending on your point of view--
they burn off a LOT less energy in the form of heat during regulation
which helps keep the cabinet and components cool. They tend to be
smaller (but considering the "case" of the "PC" is usually 3'x3'x6' it's
kinda moot ;-). They also usually have built-in overcurrent protection
which makes it a little less likely to really flame stuff out if you
wire something up wrong or drop something conductive where it shouldn't
go.

A lot already have fans installed which is kinda nice for moving air,
and if you use PC ones the wiring is standard so if anything *does* go
wrong it's easy to swap the entire assembly out.

And the price is usually dirty cheap for 65W versions out of PC-XT's.
(I bought a bunch for $2/ea for old 65W PC supplies which I've been
using for a while...)

-Clay