Re: PC power supply conversion question

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_cig.mot.com>
Date: Fri Apr 16 1999 - 14:12:31 EDT

On Apr 16, 9:41am, Clay Cowgill wrote:
> Subject: RE: PC power supply conversion question
>
> > Joust: caused "Factory settings restored" all the time. This still
> > happens
> > with my Joust boardset in my JAMMA cabinet. Repairing the original
> > Williams PS
> > is the way to go.
> > Defender: causes "bad ram" errors on first power up (powering down and
> > up
> > againg fixes it), and sometimes starts up in test mode! Anyone have a
> > Defender
> > PS board FS?
> >
> I'll have to *really* disagree with Mark on this one.

Yeah, but we all know you're not a purist, Mr. Multigames ;-)

> I run all my
> Williams boardsets from old PC switchers with *no* problems. (That's
> what I used on your Mystic Marathon, Mark.)

And I do, also, but I've never had these "start up problems" when using the
original supply. If I could just figure out how to solve these problems I'd
happily agree with you that PC switchers are better (in most cases). It's just
that no one has been able to give me some ideas on how to rectify these
problems (sounds like Kev has had similar problems to mine, so it's not just
that I'm insane...although that may be part of it :-)).

> If anything the switcher is
> far less likely to cause the demise of your 4116's DRAMs in those
> boardsets...

Obviously we are products of our environment. You've found linear to damage
your boards, where as I've never had that problem. And I've found switchers to
cause start up problems, where you've never had that problem.

> I'm going to try similar surgery on my Star Trek sitdown-- I'll post if
> anything "bad" happens.

And knowing you, you'll take time to put in a nice audio amplifier as well ;-)

Speaking of surgeries and Sega XY's; I attempted swapping a WG4600 tube onto a
G08, but I think there are some problems with the monitor chassis that I need
to fix first. If the procedure is successful, I will document it and add it to
one of the FAQ on my web page.

Have a nice weekend all! I'm hoping to pick up something at the Iowa auction
this weekend!

Mark Jenison E-mail address: jenison@cig.mot.com
Cellular Infrastructure Group Motorola--Arlington Heights, IL