Re: More Tempest Problems :(

From: <jwelser_at_ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Fri Apr 16 1999 - 14:42:32 EDT

On Fri, 16 Apr 1999, Jon Raiford wrote:

> What is the typical behavior of a failing high voltage unit? Would
> that kick the spot killer on? Would that give me no deflection (just
> the spot w/ the screen turned up)? Other than getting the cap kits
> and lv2000's, what else can I check/do? I realize there is a lot of
> documentation of these monitors out there, and I probably should finish
> looking through all of it before begging for help. And yet, here I am :)

        Not to be a wise-ass, but a failing HV unit wouldn't produce
HV. To check for HV, use the old "see if the hair on the back of your
hand stands up when you put it in front of the tube" test. If there is no
HV, there can be no picture on the screen. However, lots of other
situations can also cause there to be no picture.

        You need low-voltage before high voltage, and one of those chassis
transistors might've been part of the LV power supply. Make sure you are
getting the proper DC voltages on the deflection board first.

        With this monitor, like any monitor, I recommend finding out what
the problem is, rather than just blindly replacing stuff with a cap. kit,
but that's just me....

Joe