Re: More Tempest Problems :(

From: Andrew Wilson <andrew_at_hyperbole.com>
Date: Fri Apr 16 1999 - 15:03:27 EDT

> With this monitor, like any monitor, I recommend finding out what
>the problem is, rather than just blindly replacing stuff with a cap. kit,
>but that's just me....

        On the other hand, for those of us without an extensive electronics
background (and equipment), finding a noisy component or a cap that has lost
its capacitance can be difficult or impossible. That's even assuming that you have
a scope and know what waveforms you should be getting at different points in the
circuit.

        For the average joe (er...drew ;) with a DMM, some schematics, and a
soldering gun, there's a limit to how much troubleshooting you can do. At some point,
if you've reached the limit of your abilities, you might as well roll the dice and
see if the magical cap-kit installation solves your problems. But I agree that doing
everything you can to troubleshoot it first is worthwhile (and fun).

                                Drew