More Tempest Problems :(

From: Jon Raiford <raiford_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Fri Apr 16 1999 - 13:31:12 EDT

Ok, I am fairly certain now that my boardset is fine and the monitor
is the problem. The X and Y outputs are both swinging, even at the
connector to the monitor (although I did have to repair 2 of the molex
pins (should I replace all of them? Would that make a difference in
the long run or not?) I am currently ordering a couple cap kits
for my 2 non-working WG6101's from Bob Roberts, and was wondering if
his kits include the "extra parts" that are recommended when re-capping.
Also, it appears that the high voltage appears to be out now.. I
began testing the chasis transistors and found one that appeared to
be shorted out to the chasis and replaced it.. Afterwards, I couldn't
even get the screen to display the dot with the screen cranked up :(

What is the typical behavior of a failing high voltage unit? Would
that kick the spot killer on? Would that give me no deflection (just
the spot w/ the screen turned up)? Other than getting the cap kits
and lv2000's, what else can I check/do? I realize there is a lot of
documentation of these monitors out there, and I probably should finish
looking through all of it before begging for help. And yet, here I am :)

BTW, add me to the list of people who would love to see some new
vector games. I have yet to own a working one, but when these things
actually work, I'm looking forward to being able to play multi-games
on them :)

Jon