RE: More Tempest Problems :(

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Fri Apr 16 1999 - 16:47:24 EDT

> For the average joe (er...drew ;) with a DMM, some schematics,
> and a
> soldering gun, there's a limit to how much troubleshooting you can do.
> At some point,
> if you've reached the limit of your abilities, you might as well roll
> the dice and
> see if the magical cap-kit installation solves your problems. But I
> agree that doing
> everything you can to troubleshoot it first is worthwhile (and fun).

I *have* the right equipment and I still almost always "shotgun-debug"
monitors. I figure if one cap needed replacing the rest will probably
be in similar shape, so for the time spent trouble-shooting down to
component level I'll spend $10 and just replace everything. *Then* when
it doesn't work I go in and actuall "fix" stuff. ;-)

I've very infrequently had to go down to component level troubleshooting
on Wells Gardner XY monitors though. Maybe one out of ten?

-Clay