Re: PC power supply conversion question

From: Ray Ghanbari <ray_at_Agouron.COM>
Date: Fri Apr 16 1999 - 13:16:26 EDT

Mark Jenison wrote:

> On Apr 16, 8:45am, Ray Ghanbari wrote:
> > Subject: Re: PC power supply conversion question
> > Mark Jenison wrote:
> >
> > I've had other experiences. Big Ass PC Switchers (TM) have worked great
> > for me in everything I've tried them in (mainly raster). Depending on
> > the power supply, you have to play games with loading and the voltage
> > feedback line.
>
> I'd be interested in hearing about what you are doing (explain exactly what
> "games" you are playing).

Not fair Mark, you know all my stuff is still in shrinkwrap :-(

Seriously, I have not seen the problems you listed for Robotron or
Defender (I switched both to switchers after my first round of fried RAM
chips and lost main PCB). Maybe some issues with the switcher you are
using?

Ditto no problems when I had a Dig Dug cabinet, or with my JAMMAtized
Dig Dug. All my old Atari raster games were fairly easily hacked into
my JAMMA/switcher setup without game play glitches. I have not played
with Tron/MCR stuff yet so can't speak to the hum issues (running the
amp off the linear 12V sounds reasonable)

All my vector stuff is on the original A/R boards or the original
Cinematronics linear supplies. Those have been fairly stable in my
experience. It is a lot more paletable than hacking the DC voltages
directly to the game boards.

With the above being said, all my linear switchers work properly. I try
to be careful to make my PS hacks reversible, so the machine can be
restored to original condition (in case Mark drops by for an audit ;-)

Ray