RE: PC power supply conversion question

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Fri Apr 16 1999 - 12:41:17 EDT

> Tron: ended up causing an enormous amount of hum in the speaker line.
> The
> original power supply board, after repaired, was nice and quiet.

True-- this is a known MCR boardset issue. I still used switchers for
testing though.

> Joust: caused "Factory settings restored" all the time. This still
> happens
> with my Joust boardset in my JAMMA cabinet. Repairing the original
> Williams PS
> is the way to go.
> Defender: causes "bad ram" errors on first power up (powering down and
> up
> againg fixes it), and sometimes starts up in test mode! Anyone have a
> Defender
> PS board FS?

I'll have to *really* disagree with Mark on this one. I run all my
Williams boardsets from old PC switchers with *no* problems. (That's
what I used on your Mystic Marathon, Mark.) If anything the switcher is
far less likely to cause the demise of your 4116's DRAMs in those
boardsets...

> Ah, I don't blame ya. After replacing my Eliminator 4-player power
> supply
> twice (and believe me, it's just a tad cramped in there), I'm
> considering a
> hardware upgrade myself. I'm avoiding it however, seeing as my other
> switching
> power supply attempts have failed miserably. I'm just glad to have
> finally put
> a power switch on my Eliminator (who was the genius at Sega who
> decided not to
> put power switches on the cabinets?).

I'm going to try similar surgery on my Star Trek sitdown-- I'll post if
anything "bad" happens. I did all the Sega Multigame development and
testing from a G-80 boardset on my bench being run off an old PC-XT 65W
switcher... Worked dandy.

-Clay