Re: B/W X/Y?

From: Paul Kahler <phkahler_at_Oakland.edu>
Date: Fri Apr 30 1999 - 15:20:45 EDT

> > Cine monitors have the vector generation circuitry (DACs, etc)
> > on the monitor, as well as several different styles of Z axis
> > intensity control, depending on the game. There were a few
> > bootleg designs that had this circuitry on a separate card and
> > could use an analog X/Y, but the stock Vectorbeam and Cinematronics
> > games cannot.
>
> Just out of curiosity, what is the DAC size used in the Cinematronics
> games?

They are 12-bit. At one point I had considered hacking a Space Duel board
to use as a converter. All the parts are there, but the design is
completely different. A second idea was to make a DAC board and feed
the XY outputs down to my working SD board - there is an X and Y
invert signal feeding an analog MUX. You could piggyback the
cinematronics CPU and converter on Space Duel and have one signal
to flip displays. Not sure what to do about sound and controls...
That SD, Gravitar, MH, etc hack people have talked about could then
get CineGames added to the menu :-) BTW, feeding the signals to the
Atari board like this would use the Atari pin-cushion circuitry rather
than needing it on the DAC board.

I never got around to ordering DACs after my free sample request failed :-)

--
|_|  |_||_| \___/ |____)      for things another man can just ignore. " -S.H.