Re: Breakout... (was Space Duel mod)

From: Ray Ghanbari <ray_at_Agouron.COM>
Date: Tue May 04 1999 - 14:36:11 EDT

Clay Cowgill wrote:
> (I'm also willing to bet that I've logged more SuperBreakout time in
> MAME than any other person alive. It's significantly easier once you
> notice that location $04 is the "balls used" counter. ;-)

I play it all the time! Awesome game.

> c) leave Breakout alone ("classic") and fork off another Breakout game
> and do "b" to that

I vote "c" since that is probably what you'll end up doing anyway ;-)

> P.S. Does anyone but me *like* Breakout? ;-) (A Bosconian clone would
> be neat on Tempest hardware... Hmmmmm.)

Breakout and Space Invaders are definite classics, and I still enjoy
playing them very much...

> (reply to clayc@diamondmm.com if you don't want to clutter up the
> vectorlist...)

Well, Clayout is now officially a vector game, so it is very appropriate
to this list ;-)

Here is a use for the "Super Zapper" button: once per ball you can
press it and have the ball explode into 3 balls (in keeping with the
spirit of Super Zapper). Round is over when all balls are lost or all
bricks are cleared.

The play with the same theme, the Fire button could launch a ball
straight up and fast, which you have to catch Discs of Tron style or you
die. For coolness, the paddle could compress into a ball when you do
this, leaving behind a *very* small paddle to catch with. Obviously,
this would make hitting the ball in regular play very difficult when
your "shooting", and thus discourage this tactic.

You could do a Tempest-inspired Clayout:

Block of bricks in the center. Paddle can rotate all around the bricks
(all sides in either a circle "Gyruss style" or in a rectangle "Warlords
style"). Some bricks spawn new balls, which will keep things
interesting. I think the Tempest spinner is the *perfect* controller
for this type of game (sort of like the red levels in Tempest...takes
precise control combined with high speed to keep things in play)

For fun, invert to Space Zap style: Bricks along all outside edges,
paddle protect a small region in the center, LOTs of balls flying around
(launched when you hit some bricks), some bricks fire a shot at the
center which the paddle has to avoid, you die if your paddle is hit by
shots or if any ball gets past you into the center drain.

As always, careful when you ask for suggestions Clay ;-)

Ray