Re: Vector Breakout

From: Ray Ghanbari <ray_at_Agouron.COM>
Date: Tue May 11 1999 - 11:15:44 EDT

Jeff Anderson wrote:

> > Bad news-- I'm still not sure how the hell to deal with bounces off the
> > "paddle". I can't for the life of me characterize how it works in
> > SuperBreakout-- it seems like some "hits" result in random bounces,
> > while others cause true "mirror" bounces and other return the ball along
> > the same path. Any help would be appreciated. (Ray, seems like you
> > know something about this? :-)
>
> I'm pretty sure the paddle is divided into fourths.. I remember seeing a
> diagram somewhere, I think it was in the superbreakout manual. It
> had arrows that show which way the ball bounces off the paddle depending
> on which way it hit the paddle if I remember correctly..

The game has different modes where the paddle behaves differently.
Spend about 30 minutes with Super Breakout. Count the hits before the
behavior changes. In each window, experiment with the ball hitting
different quarters of the paddle when coming from the left, then coming
from the right.

I have some intuition about this, but that's all...

Ray