Re: Tempest Multigame (behaviour)

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Tue May 26 1998 - 18:47:16 EDT

On Wed, 26 May 1999 14:55:37 -0700, you wrote:

>> You can play all day with all the credits you want, but you still
>> can't get a score past your skill level. Unless of course you allow
>> editing of the EAROM.
>>
>Oh, please... (Donning holy-war battle armor...)
>
>It's just a glorified "continue"-- the problem is that Atari didn't
>reset the score to zero when the next player buys in.

I'm sure that was on purpose!

I've have always allowed family and friends to start where I left off
in order to beat the high current high score, it doesn't help in the
least.

On the other hand, when trying for a high score with a friend of
similar skill, both of you become partners against the machine. I can
still remember not making it through a level only to have a co-player
that did. YES! It meant both of us had a chance to make it up again!
(And I could always return the favor.) This was way cool when Tempest
was new and both of you wanted to see what the next levels entailed
(like seeing invisible for the first time!)

And as another quarter sucking feature one player can play both
players and have a second chance on making it through a really high
level!

I'm sure neither Atari, nor the operators, and certainly not the
players, ever saw this as a problem.

Try this...

Spend the next week or so truly trying to get your highest score.
Then honestly post it.

I'll bet there are people on this list that can beat it in 2 quarters.
(Maybe even one!)

When playing Tempest in the arcades I managed to score in the 900,000
a few times, I'm currently no where near that good! But I've played
with people better!

As a matter of fact, forget the week. Tonight, go ahead and put the
game into the, start on any level mode, and tells us your highest
achievable score using your so called "cheat" technique!

You won't beat others on this list. (If you were able beat the expert
Tempest players on this list, you would know how Tempest works, and we
wouldn't be having this conversation! ;^) ;^)

-Zonn