RE: Tempest Multigame (behaviour)

From: Scott Swazey <sswazey_at_qualcomm.com>
Date: Wed May 26 1999 - 13:37:27 EDT

At 05:43 PM 5/26/99 -0700, Clay Cowgill wrote:
[...]
>> Do you know about the "fall back catch"?
>>
>Yep, but in my experience if I get blown back a step I just replay a
>couple times and keep making headway.
>
>> Let's say a player has the skills to only make it to level 20
>> consistently. I allow him to start at level 80.
>>
>> He won't make, and the next time he restarts he's only allowed level
>> 72, he won't make it, then level 65 (I don't remember the real
>> levels), he make be able squeek through around level 27 or so where
>> he'll get level 27's bonus points, but thats really not that much
>> better than were he was and certainly reflects his skill level.
>>
>I think you'll just have to prove this to me sometime. I think there's
>a decent chance that he wouldn't fall back to level 27. He's bound to
>hit one of the 'easier' levels in the fall. If he gets past *anything*
>post-20 he's just cheated the game and is surviving and getting scoring
>points past his own skill level.

I'd have to agree with Clay on this one. The best I've ever done, on my
own, is to reach the beginning of the yellow level. And usually it took me
so long to get there, I couldn't keep playing. I don't remember my score,
but it was significantly lower than 770,000. Using the technique Greg W.
described, I would go into demo mode and start at level 80 and then switch
the game back to free play. I would then "fall back" a few levels until I
could complete a wave and collect the bonus. My EAROM scores were
typically in the +700K range, but I could have never got there on my own,
regardless of the number of quarters I used. My home tempest game has
"774,345 STS" as the high score, but I cheated to get there.

-Scott

PS Clay, did you get my Tempest multigame order?

--
Scott Swazey                QUALCOMM Incorporated Work: (619) 657-2419
mailto:sswazey@qualcomm.com V-209H                Pager:(619) 683-5210