Re: The long history of Cinematronics and Vectorbeam

From: <jwelser_at_ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu May 27 1999 - 00:47:41 EDT

On Thu, 27 May 1999 solarfox@texas.net wrote:

> We're actually trying to do something similar to this at work (not a
> vector display, of course, but a PWM driving a MOSFET switch to control the
> current to an inductive load)... the biggest problem, aside from the RF
> noise (which is a problem for _us_ at the lab, but probably not for what
> we're talking about here) is the ringing caused by the inductive load. I'd
> think that would cause undesirable squiggles or wavy lines, unless you
> could suppress it.

        Ringing = Too much gain. Turn down your gain, or put some series
resistance in there. Remember, with any RLC circuit, ringing is a
symptom of an underdamped condition.

        Class-D amplifiers are quite the hit right now, and would get
my vote for an output stage. Might be a little overkill in complexity
for a deflection board, however.

Joe