Re: The long history of Cinematronics and Vectorbeam

From: Rodger Boots <rlboots_at_cedar-rapids.net>
Date: Thu May 27 1999 - 03:39:47 EDT

Al Kossow wrote:

> >It makes you wonder if you could not use them in a PWM mode. That
> >would be very efficient heat wise, but I'm sure the PWM frequency
> >would have to be very high. But I know they've built audio amplifiers
> >this way!
>
> A deflection coil would be an inductive load, though... wouldn't
> ringing be a problem?
>
> You've described a class D amplifier. The only thing I've wondered is if
> there would be any remnants of the 'carrier' visible as the beam was
> deflected.

Anyone ever seen what happens to a Tempest when
someone replaces those non-inductive wirewound
resistors in the yoke feedback path with regular
wirewound resistors? You get little wigglies in the lines.
This is the same effect you'd get unless the switching
rate is VERY high (I'd say about 1 MHz should do).

And you'd need some serious drive circuitry to drive
power FETs at 1 MHz in switchmode due to their
very high gate capacitance.