Re: WG HV problem

From: Rodger Boots <rlboots_at_cedar-rapids.net>
Date: Thu May 27 1999 - 03:48:43 EDT

I've had Tempests do this and its always ended up being
that high voltage zener diode in the regulator feedback
loop. Don't remember the exact voltage, but it's over
50 and under 100. These cause all sorts of interesting
high voltage problems.

Won't cost much to replace, even if you use ECG/NTE
for the replacement. But turn the high voltage way down
first. Reason? If you have, say, an 82 volt zener that's
breaking down at 50 volts and you set the pot to get 25
KV out and then replace the zener the output will TRY to
go up past 30 KV (I say try, something else will probably
blow up first). Be safe, turn down the voltage, replace
the zener, THEN readjust the voltage.