Credit-maker?

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Thu May 27 1999 - 20:07:27 EDT

> Why not have only two inputs and 3 outputs? Two inputs for the start
> buttons, one output for the coin switch, one output each for the start
> button circuits.
>
> Pressing the 1 Player start button first closes the coin switch and
> then
> (250 ms later) closes the start circuit. The 2 player start button
> closes
> the coin switch twice and then the start circuit.

That would work. I was thinking of having it "secret" (like push left
on joystick and press P2 start for a credit), but I like your idea
rather a lot-- only "gotcha" is that the start button would have to be
in series with the credit-maker because you need to apply the start
button *after* the credits. I'd probably make the cycle more like 750ms
or so in case some games disable reading other inputs while a coin drop
is being "debounced".

If you intercept the "start" button you could also do something like a
"press and hold" equals a coin drop (could have it auto-repeat like a
keyboard too for multiple credits) and a "short press" sends the start
signal (start).

> (Uh oh.... could this be a new project?)

If people think it's useful. I'd guestimate I could make and sell a
"magic combination" credit-maker for about $8 with a relay output
(basically the same as the reset adapter). The "push start for
credit/game" credit-maker would probably be about $9-9.50. (figuring
just adding a little 8-pin PIC with internal oscillator for about $1.25)

Certainly do-able if people want it.

-Clay