WG6100 is Fixed!!!

From: Jon Raiford <raiford_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Tue Jun 01 1999 - 08:41:37 EDT

For whatever reason, when I recapped my 6100 (mine has the P314
deflection board rev c without the input protection circuit), I had a
region of the screen where vectors were oscillating instead of
displaying as straight lines. The popular opinion in here was
that I should check the HV cage (which I left off), but it was
not the problem. I swapped in a P327 deflection board from
my Gravitar and it worked great, and I threw in another P314 rev c
(with the input protection circuit) and IT had the same problem.
I also put the 2 P314's in the Gravitar monitor and they worked
great. So it appeared to be a design problem that was corrected
in later rev's of the monitor, so I looked in the documentation
on the net (mainly the woodcock paper), and looked for the
differences between the two. The only component in the deflection
circuit was a .005 ? capacitor that was replaced with a .001 ?.
When I made this change to the P314, the area that had the problem
grew to most of the right side of the screen. After looking at
the 2 boards, there were 2 other capacitors that were on the P314
and NOT the P327 (I have to look them up, but I think they were C703
and C603). They look like a long slender box. When I removed these,
it cleared the screen up. I think this should be added to the
documentation on these monitors so other people can avoid this same
problem.

Jon