RE: Why can't games behave for company ?

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Tue Jun 01 1999 - 13:11:01 EDT

> Why is it that some machine -- usually the latest I've gotten -- has
> to up
> and quit on me whever company is over to play ?

Ahhh... Games are just electronics-- and most importantly modern video
games are forms of computers. That makes them susceptible to the whim
of "The Demo Gods".

To a 20 year old video game, a group of 4 or 5 sceptical friends and/or
relatives is tantamount to a packed house at COMDEX or MacWorld. What
better time to do the arcade game equivalent of a General Protection
Fault or System Error? Particularly effective when the proud owner is
at the controls-- usually just after saying something like "yeah, it's
been working great for months!" The Demo Gods give bonus points for
smoke and/or loud snapping and popping noises.

There's not much you can do. Some have had luck by drinking Mountain
Dew or Jolt! as an offering before starting the demo-- others find
solice in bringing some talisman to ward off The Demo Gods (a rubber
chicken, Star Trek toy, etc.).

Remember that having a spouse that's not-too-keen on the game(s)
watching is pretty much like being the guy that has to launch Windows 98
while Bill Gates is standing on stage looking over his shoulder. The
machine will often save the HCF instruction (Halt, Catch Fire) for just
such an occasion.

-Clay