Re: Tempest DAC

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Tue Jun 01 1999 - 14:51:08 EDT

On Tue, 1 Jun 1999 11:14:09 -0700 , you wrote:

>> This is completely from memory, but I believe there is a difference
>> between the 4066 and the 74LS4066, and I *thought* the 74LS4066
>> allowed for a larger voltage swing which I *thought* was +/- 15v.
>>
>Hmmm. If I recally correctly the 4066 was sort of the "positive supply"
>version of the 4016. (The 4016 could have a +/-7V supply or whatever
>the CMOS would take, but the 4066 could only have up to a +7V supply?)

These reason these are from memory is that I was at Fry's this weekend
looking for the TL182 (DREAM ON!), and looked at some of their cross
reference magazines, then went to their book dept to get some real
information. What I learn about the 4016 and 4066 was that the 4066
was an improved version of the 4016 (in some ways) the 4066 has lower
internal resistance, but more crosstalk than the 4016. They was also
a difference in the maximum supply voltages, though both were
bi-polar, but I can't remember which one was which, though I remember
one allowing up to +/- 15v.

The 74LS4066 parts were functionally identical, though they used a
different semiconductor technology to do it. They might have had a
different voltage range also.

I don't remember seeing a 74LS4016, so you could be right about the LS
process.

I couldn't remember the LF13xxx family so I wasn't able to see if they
were a good match.

The TL182 only contained two switches in a 14 pin package with 4 N/C
pins, and were underrated when compared to the 4066. So except for
the enable polarity (and of course pinout) a 4066 would work fine.
(In fact one 4066 would replace both TL182s)

-Zonn