Re: unsubscriptions explained

From: Paul_Labuda <paull_at_buckwheat-f0.us.dell.com>
Date: Wed Jun 02 1999 - 11:02:37 EDT

It doesn't like words like get or put at the beginning of a message.
Here's a list of words that listproc will likely choke upon:

... SEArch, GET, AFD, HELp, LISts, SUBscribe, SET, WHIch, PURge, and INDex ...

I hope that leading ellipsis will allow this message to get through. :-)
Basically, any time the listproc program thinks you're trying to send a
command to it, even to list address (you're supposed to send commands to
listproc@mcfeeley.cc.utexas.edu, not vectorlist@mcfeeley.cc.utexas.edu), it
will bounce your message back to you and show you in lovely CAPITAL LETTERS
what your offending line was. It doesn't happen too often that the stupid
program thinks you're trying to send it a command, but it does admittedly
happen often enough to be annoying.

One lovely way to stymie the stupid command interpreter, which I think
shouldn't be scanning the vectorlist at all, anyway, is to start your
message, on the first line, with:

--
That will tell listproc not to process anything following the "--."
- Paul