Re: Ampliphone HV FAQ is done!!!

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Wed Jun 09 1999 - 20:07:15 EDT

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999 17:06:03 -0500 (CDT), you wrote:

>In message "Ampliphone HV FAQ is done!!!", you write:
>
>>> Instead of waiting for HV transformers to be made, would it be simpler
>>> to use some very popular, existing HV transformer (a nice one with the
>>> HV diode built in) and design new drive electronics around it?
>>>
>>This is a good idea, IMHO. I had looked into using a GO-7 HV transformer as
>>the basis for a new HV supply (not the cheapest, but readily available --
>>seemingly forever-- and I had all the "parts" needed on old GO-7 chassis).
>>I quickly realized I was in over my head on the analog side though and kinda
>>abandoned the idea.
>
>One of the problems with going with a NTSC compatible flyback is they are
>tuned to operate around 15khz. If you don't mind your Tempest sounding
>like a raster game (high pitched whine) and hate your dog, then no problem.

I figure they'd might have to be driven at 15khz, but I also figured
that the tuning freq was more a matter of the horz. sweep rate, not
the transformer

The tuned circuit must also consists of a capacitor, and unless
there's a tuning capacitor built into the flyback, driving the flyback
at a higher frequency should work just fine.

>Perhaps an EGA flyback...
>
>> I also have *no* idea where you'd get a "designer's guide" for a particular model HVT.
>
>EDN had a pretty cool article on designing FBTs and CRT high voltage sections
>about two years ago. Maybe we'll be lucky and find it on their web page...

I went there and found some interesting stuff, but not an article
directly related to designing a CRT section. :^(

I did find this ad which would be an ideal replacement for a
Cinematronics monitor. At only $277 a shot (Qty 1000?) such a deal!

http://209.67.241.58/reg/1996/060696/12prod1.htm

(I'm not sure you can click on the above with signing up for a
password)

-Zonn