Re: Ampliphone HV-other options?!

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Thu Jun 10 1999 - 15:21:30 EDT

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999 18:11:24 -0700 , you wrote:

>Whoa. Will the clerk please make a note-- Zonn and Clay are agreeing on a
>design idea... ;-)

Sorry, I've bought off the clerk (He was easy, just wanted an old Star
Castle...)

>> I'll bet it would work just fine (though I might want to replace that
>> three stage transistor error amp with an op-amp and a hefty
>> darlington. I was going to look into using the classic 723 regulator
>> since it has a built in voltage reference.)
>>
>Go for it! If you can get something working I'll look into getting some
>single-sided phenolic PCB's done-- see how much that costs. I have a good
>source for snazzy heatsinks for cheap too... Might be worth glancing at a
>little power op-amp like the L165 or LM675. They're readily available in
>surplus now for about $1 a pop. Nice TO-220 package-- maybe up to 3A out?

I think I have all the equipment I'd need for testing this, my problem
now is deciding on a new flyback.

Use a GO-7? Just start looking through 25+" TV schematics until I
find one? It'd be nice to find one with built in focus/g2/HV diode,
if not all, at least the HV diode.

I guess the spec's would read:

*50v primary input.
*Built in Focus/G2/HV diode
*GND side of the Focus/G2 voltage divider cannot be connected to
ground internally (this is where I'll tap into the output voltage to
attempt regulation. The same way the Amplifone does to check for
overvoltage.)
*Must be able to handle the current needs of a 25" vector monitor
(This should be easy to find. I'm sure an all white raster display,
draws more current than even the explosion scene in Star Wars --
though they might be close.) I'm assuming any flyback designed for a
25" or greater TV/Monitor will work with about anything.

Maybe the way to go is to get on HappsControl.com and just check out
the current WG series of monitors, find a schematic for a 25+ model,
checkout the price of it's replacement parts (which I'm assuming will
be sold for a while to come), check out the usability of the parts (or
they so modular that I can't use them -- can the flyback be used
without the yoke? Can I use the voltage feedback system that WG is
using without needed a bunch of "flyback" type components?), and if
everything checks out, start from there.

My biggest setback right now is that I have to move (my landlord is
selling the condo I live in), and much of my stuff is already, and I
can predict the next couple of months are going to be a bit hectic.

-Zonn