Re: Goot Desoldering Gun

From: Al Kossow <aek_at_spies.com>
Date: Thu Jun 10 1999 - 15:27:33 EDT

"I'm wondering if anybody has tried the Goot desoldering gun."

I've tried lots of desoldering devices, and finally settled on
using a Hakko SMT heat source for removing 24 - 40 pin devices
then a hot air point source with a soldering iron to flush the
plated through holes clear.

For TTL parts and stuff with a couple of pins that i'm replacing,
I just clip the leads, pull them a pin at a time and use the
point source to clear the holes.

Old game boards (esp 70's Atari and Midway boards) are so cheaply
made that if you look at them wrong, you'll lift a trace or pull
out a plated through hole, so I've pretty much given up using any
sort of vacuum desoldering device on them.

More modern boards with decent solder mask are much more forgiving.
Unfortuately, those aren't the kinds of games I end up working on..