Re: Goot Desoldering Gun

From: ddhumphr <david_at_bbn.com>
Date: Thu Jun 10 1999 - 15:42:32 EDT

Al Kossow wrote:

> "I'm wondering if anybody has tried the Goot desoldering gun."
>
> Old game boards (esp 70's Atari and Midway boards) are so cheaply
> made that if you look at them wrong, you'll lift a trace or pull
> out a plated through hole, so I've pretty much given up using any
> sort of vacuum desoldering device on them.

I'm still using my Pace desolder station with the pedal actuated
vacuum. Keep the tip clean, and most of the old stuff comes off w/out
too much of a hitch. It's the new multi-layer PCB's with the mini-pads
that are a pain! I think the plate-throughs are as close to vapor-ware
as it gets!

So how are you using an SMT plate to desolder 24/40 pin devices? All at
once?

Ace