Re: Goot Desoldering Gun

From: Cris Rhea <crhea_at_mayo.edu>
Date: Thu Jun 10 1999 - 16:29:40 EDT

> > It's not a plate, it's just a very fancy heat gun, with temperature and
> > air pressure controls. Once you have the temp and pressure dialed in, and
> > the leads straight, heat the part up and pull it out. The trick is making
> > sure the leads don't have any bends to catch in the holes.
>
> This doesn't scorch the PCB? Or are you just well practiced with the length
> of time that you can expose a surface to "warmth of the sun" 8-) ?

I do this all the time with a low-tech heat gun.... the keys are temperature
and time. I don't set my heat gun for 2000 degrees- I set it for 800 degrees.
Keeping the gun a couple inches away from the PCB as well as keeping it moving
easily melts the solder for a 40 pin DIP without scorching the PCB.

I've found that I can be more gentle to the PCB using this method than using
things like a Weller/Ungar vacuum desoldering station- especially if you're
pulling several chips (like a bank of memory).

Keep in mind that most boards were wave soldered in the first place...

--- Cris

 Cristopher J. Rhea Mayo Foundation
 Research Computing Facility Pavilion 2-25
 crhea@Mayo.EDU Rochester, MN 55905
 Fax: (507) 266-4486 (507) 284-0587