Re: Ampliphone HV-other options?!

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Fri Jun 11 1999 - 17:35:51 EDT

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999 13:20:37 -0700, you wrote:

>> We could hook up (backwards) a 50v
>> (25vct) transformer to the output of the 50v transformer supplying the
>> power to the monitor to get 120volts, but it's probably easier just to
>> find an isolation transformer. Up until the most current generation
>> of WG monitors, one was required, there must be many floating around.
>>
>I think we can get 1:1 isolation transformers for probaly $10-12 each.
>Maybe even less $$$ since we don't need as much current as "usual" (not
>driving the color guns and deflection off it).
>
>So is it "safe" for an HV transformer to have its anode coupled to ground
>through a resistor? (To just burn off the HV output without having to hook
>it up to an actual CRT.) Might not want to be generating soft x-rays while
>figuring things out...

I was thinking of hooking it up to an actual CRT. I need to measure
the filtered peak voltage generated by the HV section. I'm not sure
my voltmeter would follow the strange waveforms that might be
generated without the filtering. It is a Fluke, and it is supposed
being measuring "True RMS", but still I'm interested in peaks.

I was under the impression the x-rays are generated by the electron
beam from the gun. I only want to use the CRT as a big capacitor
(with an over 30kv breakdown voltage). I don't think just having a
big capacitor charged up to 30kv will generate x-rays, that sounds too
much like free energy.

-Zonn

FWIW: I'm currently moving full-time now (still looking for a place,
everything is going from my current condo into a storage unit, for the
time being.) I'm not sure I'm going to have a decent work bench
throughout the summer. It could be a few months before I can wire
something up...