Re: Ampliphone HV-other options?!

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Sun Jun 13 1999 - 00:16:23 EDT

Hi David!

As I mentioned to Clay, you only need a yoke to bench test a raster scan
monitor chassis. Unless you want to load down the screen transistors,
the chassis will perform just fine. I suspect one could use load
resistors for the yoke's vertical, but the horizontal deflection is a
tuned circuit, and thus there really is no shortcut that I am aware of
for bypassing the yoke.

One is able to run an XY chassis without a yoke, as the thing is really
just an stereo audio amp, and some load resistors would work fine. If
you short the inputs to ground, there technically would be no output and
thus you could even not have anything hooked up to the yoke socket. The
Cinematronics monitor makes a loud statement (a metallic sticker) on
their monitor NOT to run them without the output transistors plugged in,
however they do talk about running the monitor without the yoke plugged
in...the output transistors are then unloaded, and less likely to fry.
Your mileage may vary.

John :-#)#

 mailto:jrr_at_flippers.com, web page http://www.flippers.com