Re: Ampliphone HV-other options?!

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Mon Jun 14 1999 - 23:50:58 EDT

On Sun, 13 Jun 1999 15:39:39 -0700, John Robertson <jrr@flippers.com> wrote:

>Hi Zonn!
>
>Yes, I knew about the inputs to the Cine, I should have said that the
>inputs were set to "0" deflection on the screen. I imagine a simple pair
>of dip switches could be used to move the beam anywhere one likes for
>testing purposes.

You would also need to enable the "Initial Input" input. I don't believe the
analog switches turn themselves on with no input voltage -- you also might need
a few pull up resistors for the DAC and analog switch enables.

>I hadn't thought of testing the Cine chassis with BOTH the yoke and
>outputs disconnected, I would think that the drivers would not be happy,
>but on the other hand, with no load, why would they care? But I don't
>know what to think until I study the schematic some more...

It won't hurt anything and can be useful if your just debugging the DAC and
analog switch sections. You can also place 2.2k 1/2 resistors in place of the
yoke and safely measure all waveforms up to (and not including) the final output
transistors. You should see the standard X/Y display across the 2.2k resistors.

> I have accidentally "tested" a Cine with the output transistors
>unplugged and the yoke still in, this happened in the early 80's, makes
>for a bit of smoke!

You too huh? ;^)

-Zonn