RE: Cinematronics sound board behavior...

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Tue Jun 22 1999 - 19:56:02 EDT

With MP3 players and digital cameras driving the price of SmartMedia cards
down I'm back to thinking that maybe a brute-force sample player board might
be the way to go for adding sound to the Sega G-80 multigame and possibly
the Cinematronics Multigame as well.

All the more I'm thinking is a Scenix PIC clone (probably 50MHz), a Smart
Media card (16MByte?), and a 10 or 12 bit DAC. (This gives me a perfect
excuse to buy a Scenix dev kit which I've been dying to play with. ;-)

I can grab the data from the Smart Media card, "mix" it in the Scenix, and
pump it out to a serial DAC for playback.

Just wondering how many "voices" I need to make so I can guestimate load on
the Scenix. (If anything the bottleneck might be getting data from the
SmartMedia card, it's actually a pretty fast interface though...)

-Clay