RE: Cinematronics sound board behavior...

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Tue Jun 22 1999 - 20:35:44 EDT

> Of course, I'll be the last to complain for a brute force solution that
> gets
> us 90% there ;-) Just make sure there are some trigger out lines and some
> audio lines coming back into the mixer (you can probably count the
> non-brute
> forcible analog signals on one hand)

Yeah, I'm all for the cool super-ambitious projects that would recreate the
original sound effects with lots of DSP code. ;-) Unfortunately, the cool
super-ambitious stuff doesn't seem to get done very often.

Emulators playing samples don't seem *too* bad. (It's not perfect, but any
sounds are better than none. Well... Usually. Centipede on the
Playstation seems to be a counter-example...)

I'm inclined to leave the voice stuff alone on the G-80. A little ROM-bank
switcher daughtercard for the speech board is a no-brainer and the Sega
Multigame already has a header for bringing the bank lines out. I just want
some sound fx in the games I don't have sound boards installed for! ;-)

16Mbytes is quite a lot of space though-- even uncompressed. Almost 13
minutes of 22Khz sample rate mono-8 bit... Could record a pretty long loop
for that Star Castle droning with that! (I was just thinking of using 8 bit
samples and mixing them into a 10 or 12 bit word to toss at the DAC)
Particularly since most fx are going to be a few hundred milliseconds--
probably only 10-20K bytes. I doubt even *all* the Cinemat games have more
than 100 unique sounds... Probably more like 50-60?

-Clay