RE: Cinematronics sound board behavior...

From: Neil Bradley <neil_at_synthcom.com>
Date: Tue Jun 22 1999 - 21:13:16 EDT

> Emulators playing samples don't seem *too* bad. (It's not perfect, but any
> sounds are better than none. Well... Usually. Centipede on the
> Playstation seems to be a counter-example...)

Then you obviously haven't downloaded Retrocade and played Star Castle on
it. It's dead on with the original machine from a recording of one I got.
Thanks Zonn for the samples...

> 16Mbytes is quite a lot of space though-- even uncompressed. Almost 13
> minutes of 22Khz sample rate mono-8 bit... Could record a pretty long loop
> for that Star Castle droning with that! (I was just thinking of using 8 bit
> samples and mixing them into a 10 or 12 bit word to toss at the DAC)

No... use 16 bit samples and downsample them to the DAC size. It'll give
you a better signal to noise ratio. 8 Bit samples really sound like crap.
The actual Star Castle droning that I have is a single phase cycle which
lasts for about a quarter of a second and I just adjust the playback rate
to adjust the pitch. Works *VERY* well.

> Particularly since most fx are going to be a few hundred milliseconds--
> probably only 10-20K bytes. I doubt even *all* the Cinemat games have more
> than 100 unique sounds... Probably more like 50-60?

And a lot of them are duplicated, too. Like the explosion in Space Wars
(at least one of them) is the same as the explosion in Solar Quest, and
Star Castle.

-->Neil

Neil Bradley Synthcom home : http://www.synthcom.com
Synthcom Systems, Inc. "Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers
ICQ # 29402898 build targets." - Unknown