Re: Someone auctioning Vortrax SC-01's

From: Joel Rosenzweig <Joel_Rosenzweig_at_hp.com>
Date: Fri Jun 25 1999 - 11:17:02 EDT

><< Just saw this on a robotics newsgroup -- in case someone needs one for a
> repair: >>
>
>What used these? Are they the same as a TSI S14001A? (I was thinking this
was
>the same thing Stern used in Berzerk, Frenzy, and some Pinball machines)?

I know that Gorf uses them among others. As does my Hero robot. That
Votrax is an Achilles heel for the robot. If the chip fails, the robot
cannot boot. Unfortunately, I speak from first hand experience
troubleshooting my robot. Once I found the problem, I was elated. Then I
realized it could get difficult to find a replacement chip. Fortunately,
the robot and video game gods were smiling down on me that day, as my buddy
Dan sacrificed the chip from a spare Gorf set to save the day. Thanks, Dan!
(You're the man!)

Now I'm just paranoid about the chip failing again. If it does, I'll have
to do a Clay, and build some equivalent. :-) :-)

Joel-