Looks like it's HV supply day :)

From: Doug Jefferys <dougj_at_hwcn.org>
Date: Fri Jul 02 1999 - 12:42:30 EDT

Battlezone Cabaret, 15" B-W vector monitor.

Power up is normal. Display is normal.

After 18-20 seconds, a faint arcing/sizzling sound can be heard
along with the normal vector clatter.

On powerdown, the sizzling continues for about 10 seconds after
powerdown before finally sputtering out.

No visible arcs in: HV cage, anode cap, DAG->chassis GND spring,
or inside tube neck.

Picture is crisp and solid at all times, regardless of arcing sound.

The last fix to the monitor was a while ago, and did involve the
removal of the HV supply to replace a couple of caps.

Q1: Is the arcing something I should be worried about?

Q2: What's the most likely cause of the arcing?

My hunch is that it's going on _under_ the anode cap - maybe some
crud or finger-moisture got between the HV lead and the tube when
I removed it to fix the HV caps. It's also possible that some of
the silicone goop may have been removed when I removed the anode
cap.

I think I'm on the right track, but before I get knee-deep in goop,
I figured I'd bounce my situation off the list first.

Thanx,
Doug.

--
 dougj   |