WG19V2000 repair question

From: Andrew and Michelle Wilson <wilson_at_seanet.com>
Date: Mon Jul 19 1999 - 00:01:37 EDT

When I got back from vacation last week, the first thing I did was turn on my
arcade games. Of course, I found that the monitor on my Asteroids Deluxe no
longer worked - repeat after me, everyone: "Plays Blind, Spot Killer Is On".

After a bit of cursing, I started poking around inside and I found that R100 had
fallen off. It's one of the big 15W wire-wrapped resistors that I believe
are part
of the low voltage power supply. From the looks of it, it had been replaced
before,
and the replacement had been soldered onto the two metal standoffs. Secure
in the
knowledge that I don't know what the hell I'm doing, I just soldered the
resistor
back in place, and voila, I have a picture again.

So, a couple of questions:

1) Those two resistors (R100 and R101) are HOT to the touch. I mean HOT. Are
they
   supposed to be that way, or is something else wrong on the board?

2) I imagine that eventually that heat softened the solder enough that it
weakened,
   and if it happened once, it'll probably happen again. Is there a better
way to
   reconnect that resistor?

3) When I run the board in test mode (with the crosshatch) I notice that the
lines
   are all pulsating very slightly (in and out), but the lines themselves
are pretty
   straight (not rippling). How much pulsation is normal? Should I expect to
be able
   to get a rock-steady display?

Thanks,

    Drew

P.S. I also want to thank whoever put the *excellent* HTML version of the
19V2000 manual
     online at http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/9862/ - someone
spent a good
     deal of time on it, and it's really well done. In fact, I hope someone
is mirroring
     it, because I'd hate to see the only copy go offline.