RE: Tempest Multigame: Problem?

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Thu Jul 22 1999 - 17:25:35 EDT

> Actually, I installed mine a couple weeks ago and it worked fairly
> well. I played Tempest & Tubes and Breakout fine. Aliens didn't work
> at all (didn't do the WD disable) nor did Vortex. I have been meaning
> to try the other switch settings but haven't had time.

The switch settings I posted and that shipped with later kits should have
those both fully operational. I've yet to find a board that aliens/vortex
just refuse to work on. They *are* finicky about the switches though.
Still haven't really figured out what pisses it off though-- it must be some
combination of settings. I started with the "good" settings and went
through and inverted each switch one at a time for all switches and never
had a failure. It's probably a particular coin/life/bonus setting that
Aliens/Vortex don't know how to deal with which causes the crash. If I get
motivated (and manage to reproduce the error again) I might stick a logic
analyzer on it and see what's really going on... For now though just using
the "magic" switch settings seems to fix things, so go with that until I
have some other idea. ;-)

> Question: If
> I change settings won't Tempest erase my high scores? It seems like I've
> got it on the "factory recommended settings" except Free play.

I don't think so. In all the tweaking I did on the switches trying to find
the "bad" setting it kept my high scores the whole time.

-Clay