RE: Tempest Multigame: Problem?

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Thu Jul 22 1999 - 20:36:13 EDT

> Oh yeah, what do you want to know about Serial Port Hardware? Maxim will
> probably be your friend and eliminate the need for 12v supplies. They've
> got some great chips that only need 3.3 or 5.0, and have built in charge
> pumps to get it up to 12v..

Aiiiiigh! Kurt said the "M" word!!! (maxim) My VP of engineering "will
personally fire anyone that specs a Maxim part into a design as a sole
source". Horrible supply/volume problems. Maybe it's just the Pacific
Northwest, but everyone I talk to around here has problems with Maxim
production quantities... Probably directly related to that "we never
obsolete anything" policy (so the fabs are busy with smalls runs of dreck
all the time). They make neat stuff though, and supply might not be a big
deal if you're not building 100K's a month...

As an alternative, Sipex makes the SP207. It's a MAX207 clone. The 207 is
nice 'cause you can use external .1uf ceramic caps for the charge pumps
instead of electrolytics. Smaller, snazzier, etc. We use 'em on all our
external serial modem designs. Analog Devices and National clone it too...

-Clay