Re: How much lighter is a striped cabinet ?

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_cig.mot.com>
Date: Thu Jul 29 1999 - 13:28:06 EDT

On Jul 29, 1:15pm, Christopher X. Candreva wrote:
> Subject: How much lighter is a striped cabinet ?
>
> As a result of that newspaper article, I've had some offers from people with
> gaames they want to get rid of. Asa in free, just get it the hell out of
> here.
>
> One is a non working (just the gas pedal it looks like) Pole Position.
> Trick is, it's on the third floor of a house. A very big, expensive house.
> Luckily it has wide stairs.
>
> I was going to use a handtruck to bring it down, but the owner of the house
> isn't wild about that.
>
> If I strip out the cab, does that significantly change the weight, such that
> a few guys could carry it down stairs ? I'm figuring the monitor and power
> supply are a significant part of the weight.
>
> They want me to use a moving company, but the ones I've called want $230 to
> do it.

Pulling the monitor will only save you say 50lbs out of 250lbs-300lbs...save
yourself the time of pulling it and just get 3 other friends and the four of
you can carry it out (two on each side if the stairs are wide enough; I once
had to carry an Asteroids up the stairs of a basement WITHOUT a handtruck, with
only one other person helping). If it's too much trouble and they're just
being difficult, I'd just forget the whole thing...Pole Position isn't a vector
game anyway ;-).

Mark Jenison E-mail address: jenison@cig.mot.com
Cellular Infrastructure Group Motorola--Arlington Heights, IL