Spot Killer The Phantom Menace

From: Mark E Davidson <Burbs1_at_concentric.net>
Date: Sun Aug 08 1999 - 22:57:24 EDT

    Well ive been complaining to the group for 2 years now that my Space
Duel monitor had "noisy" vectors. Well the day came last month when just
before the company came over the monitor died. (anyone want to start up
that "why don't games behave" thread again? Rather then rush to recap
the monitor I grabbed a spare WG that I bought some time ago and never
tested that also came from a Space Duel (nasty burn) but here is the
question. When I put it in, the size was WAY OFF. I mean the ships were
1 inch large! This was true of the spare game board I put in as well.
Now the question is WHY. I know the size adjustments are on the game
board but what causes the size to be so off from one monitor to the
next?. I pulled the monitor back out to recap the original….. The story
continues…
     Installed 206 cap kit in the original monitor taking my time and
added the upgrades to a revision 3 monitor from the Wells-Gardner
19K6100 X-Y Color Monitor Upgrade page available everywhere. I also
found the reason for the first failure, Q 101 split in half.. (I knew I
should have gotten an LV2000) so at least finding the problem made me
feel good. Some new mica under the deflection transistors…. A good
amount of heat silicone, replace some other resistors in the HV area
that were burn beyond recognition and popped it back in. Fire it up an I
had the nicest looking screen ive ever had …. For about 2 days.

Spot Killer… The Phantom Menace
 The spot killers now on. From the lack of voltage from the transistors
to ground on Q 706 and Q 606 Id say this is why. Im only getting 12 v.
Did I just get a bad bunch of parts or should I be looking elsewhere
before tossing in some new 2N3792s

-=Mark=-