Re: Star Wars Power Supply

From: <solarfox_at_texas.net>
Date: Tue Aug 17 1999 - 08:34:45 EDT

On Mon, 16 Aug 1999 21:30:04 -0500 (CDT), you wrote:

> So, has anyone run across a "weak" bridge rectifier before? It
>seems to be an odd failure mode. Usually these things either open up or
>short out, but I guess every once in a while they could do something in
>between....

        It _is_ an uncommon failure mode, to be sure, but it _can_ happen -
especially if they're being run close to their maximum limits (electrically
or thermally). I've seen semiconductors do some odd things in the lab
during temperature testing... (granted, we're "testing" at 125 degrees C,
but...)

"An Academic speculated whether a bather is beautiful if there is none
 in the forest to admire her. He hid in the bushes to find out, which
 vitiated his premise but made him happy.
 Moral: Empiricism is more fun than speculation." -- Sam Weber
solarfox@DON'TMESSWITHtexas.net (Gary Akins jr.)
http://lonestar.texas.net/~solarfox