RE: Star Wars Power Supply

From: Doug Jefferys <dougj_at_hwcn.org>
Date: Tue Aug 17 1999 - 19:28:09 EDT

On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Clay Cowgill wrote:

> I'll just toss my $0.02 in here now. I think the quality of PC power
> supplies has gone down pretty fast over the years. (trying to stay ahead on
> the price/performance curve) I have a lot of those old 62.5W PC/XT power
> supplies that I use for games and projects and have never had a bad one.
> Compare that with those little 230W "mini-tower" switchers which I've
> personally had about 4 those die in the last year or two. (We too have a
> power-supply grave-yard cubicle at work. ;-)

While we're on the subject, what is it with PC fans these days? I've got
an XT-case 80286 desktop that was running 24/7 for the better part of 6
years until its retirement - if I power it up, it still runs quietly.
Ditto a 5-year-old '486 full tower.

I've got a "new" mini-tower case, and in the past 18 months, both the fan
in the switcher *and* the CPU fan have developed these lovely "groaning"
noises on powerup. The only "fix" short of replacing the fan is to stick
something nice and pointy into the blades, slam it to an instantaneous
stop, and release immediately to let it make another attempt at spinning
up again.

ObCaseAngst:
...and just think of all the decent AT supplies and cases that are gonna
get junked now that it's an ATX world. (A real pity, as I'd have loved to
have reused that '486 tower. At least I ended up using its case fan :-)

Later,
Doug.

--
 dougj   |