Re: My First 6100 / Problems

From: Ed Henciak <eddie_at_telerama.com>
Date: Sun Aug 22 1999 - 17:32:26 EDT

Al,

        I had the exact same problem last night, only the top half of my
Tempest screen was not there...

        Here's what I did :

        1> Found that one of the TO3 socket's solder leg -to-wire
connections
was bad.
Since you are missing the lower half, check the 3792 on the bottom of the
chassis (not the one on the side) that DOES NOT connect to the power
regulation circuitry. I believe it is Q705, but I am probably wrong.

        2> Hairline solder cracks on the headers...resoldered them...

        3> Also had a nice bout with a completely out-of-focus screen.
However, this was due to a broken focus pin on the tube socket. You don't
need to worry about this, but it may help someone in the future....

        There is also a chance that the 3792 you have is actually
bad...even though it passes the diode test, this always isn't 100% the
case.

        I'd examine all the solder joints closer though...make sure you
are using new solder as well and not just reflowing the joint (I'm sure
you're doing this). Check every connection from the TO3 socket right to
the connector...

Ed