Tempest Aux Board Problems

From: Al Warner <batlzone_at_cyberenet.net>
Date: Mon Aug 30 1999 - 06:25:16 EDT

Hey guys,

Spent the whole weekend figuring out what was wrong with the Deflection
board on the 6100 in my Tempest only to find it was cold solder joints.
One of them was actually one of the "stilts" for the protection board.
Everything is tight and the monitor looks good, well, when it is
displaying something.

The program seems to be running, but I seem to be having problems in the
ALU / Pokey area of the Aux board.

Reason: Vectors jumbled on game grid and during much of the attract
mode. Sounds are random or just a bunch of noise. Controllers mostly
dead. Sometimes the buttons work (1/2 players, SuperZapper). Enemies
and player cursor look OK.

Question 1: Should rearranging the ALU chips produce different problems
on the screen or is it all one big matrix and that won't make a
difference? I tried cleaning / moving the chips around, but the results
are the same.

Question 2: Is there a chip / component that controls both Pokeys and
ALU?

Question 3: Has anyone seen these symptoms before?

Before you ask, Resoldered interboard connector pins (removed old
solder, replaced with new) on both boards.

Thanks for reading,

-Al-

-=               Al Warner batlzone@cyberenet.net                    =-
-= Learn how to install a Cap Kit in your video game's monitor and   =-
-= see a whole lot more on my web page at:                           =-
-=               http://www.cyberenet.net/~batlzone                  =-