Re: Converting Star Castle to Armor Attack

From: <jwelser_at_ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon Sep 13 1999 - 13:30:51 EDT

On Mon, 13 Sep 1999, Matt Rossiter - Verio Southern California wrote:

> One more quick question....
>
> How hard is it to take a CPU board out of a Star Castle and turn it into
> and Armor Attack? Is it just a matter of changing the 4 roms or do you
> have to change the custom proms as well?

        No, you don't need to change the PROMS. These are essentially
microcode PROMS which are the same for all B/W Cinematronics games.

        There IS the issue of the slightly different memory map (or,
rather, expanded memory of Armor Attack.) Armor Attack/Solar Quest use
more memory than Star Castle/Rip Off.

        I've never made this mod., but I remember Zonn and Paul K. talking
about it from time to time. My recollection also tells me that it's
pretty easy to mod the SC/RO board to run AA/SQ. I think it involved
using one of the spare gates already on the board.

        Hopefully Zonn or Paul K. will jump in here and explain the rest
;)

Joe