Re: TECH: 13 inch Amplifone! HELP!!

From: <jwelser_at_ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon Sep 27 1999 - 01:05:39 EDT

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Paul Kahler wrote:

> What you're getting is not a B&W signal, but no signal at all and it's
> showing up as white. Those RGB wires MUST go somewhere for any color
> information (or even OFF information it seems) to function. I wouldn't
> even operate the monitor until you figure out what's missing, but I've never
> seen one of these, so I can't comment further.

        This is WRONG (but sorta right, based upon that data that you were
given -- i.e. that te RGB inputs were disconnected.) If I understood
the original message right, the problem was that all the vectors were on
full brightness, including the retrace lines. A side effect of this is
that there is a very bright spot in the center, too. My PAT9000 has
EXACTLY the same problem. I saw it in a few "regular" Amplifones too.

        In the past, I found that cold solder joints on the two biggest
capacitors could cause this problem, but I tried that on mine and it
didn't clear it up, so obviously something else can cause it too. I
haven't had too much time to tinker around with it (too many projects
these days,) but I'll post my fix when I find it.

Joe