Re: Vector programming

From: Peter Pachla <peter.pachla_at_vectrex.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Fri Oct 01 1999 - 10:40:00 EDT

Hi,

> It's another aspect to game collecting. I'm a programmer myself, and
>used to write games for the old 8-bit machines (6502 based)....

Which ones? I used to write games for the Atari 8-bit, CBM-64 and Atari 7800
(not to mention the ST and Amiga).

> I always thought the game programmers to be god-like in some way....

So did I until I got into "the biz"....kind of shatters your illusions when
you finally meet them and find out what a load of spolit brats they really are
(at the companies I worked at anyway).

>....Sitting aroung on bean-bags and playing games all day....

No bean bags, plenty of large bottles of Coke though.

> The classic hardware is much simpler and more elegant....

That's EXACTLY what I like about the older "classic" systems, they're simple,
easy to understand and fun to work with.

I've got no time at all for modern day systems - FMV intros, pah (I don't even
look at them ONCE, let alone each time I fire up the game).

>....I may never suceed in making a popular re-write or enhancement to
>a classic Atari vector, but I guarantee you that I'll have loads of fun
>failing!

Go for it!!!

  TTFN - Pete.

--
Hardware & Software Engineer. Sound Engineer.
Collector of Arcade Machines, Games Consoles & Obsolete Computers (esp DEC)