Re: vector programming...

From: Josh McCormick <jmccorm_at_galstar.com>
Date: Fri Oct 01 1999 - 22:28:14 EDT

> 2 Pass Disassembler with hardware commenting

I must say that I like this idea a lot. In fact, I like it so much that I
*stole* it for my Tempest code documentation project. Users are not only
able to add comments to the code, but to memory addresses (which includes
hardware registers).

When a line of code makes a reference to a known memory location, a yellow
"i" image is dynamically added to the right of the address in the code
listing. A "mouse-over" on the image currently gives the one-line
description. A "click-on" will pull up the full entry for that memory
address.

To see the direction I am going:
http://arcade.gameshop.com/136002.html [warning: 750k]

A few comments have been added around A83E. Much more functionality needs
to be added -- this the output of some of my development code. I hope to
get the CGI finished this weekend. (Clicking on the "M" to the far left
pulls up a CGI to modify the comments.)

The original output of my CGI scripts used tables. That was quickly
abandoned because, although it was pretty, a full source code listing was
over 3MB, which took forever to load, and once loaded, it took a few
minutes for a browser to interpret and display it. <heh>

> Table based processor plug-ins (support for any processor)
> memory map plugins (for additional game hardware support)
> ... additional features ...

Delicious. I'd love to make use of your project.

--
jcm
jmccorm@galstar.com