Re: vector programming...

From: Neil Bradley <neil_at_synthcom.com>
Date: Mon Oct 04 1999 - 14:20:48 EDT

> That said, I think MAME is just *dying* to be rewritten in C++ - all
> those Machine/Driver structures and function tables are just C++ objects done
> the hard way. But I realize that's probably just my devoutly religious OO side
> talking ;-P

Object oriented programming is a programming methodology - not a language.
You can write wonderfully object oriented code in C, and horribly
unobject oriented (and obfuscated) code in C++. In fact, C++ tends to
generate worse code because most people don't understand the side effects
of the operations they use.

The fact of the matter is 99.9% of people don't know when (or more
importantly when not to) classify things in C++. They do it because it's
"neat" or "trendy" - not because they're consciously making a decision
to use a class wrapper, etc..

Sorry, but I've seen SOOOOO much C++ abuse in my professional career. I'm
not down on C++ - it has its place. But the average Joe shouldn't even
bother with the C++ constructs until they've solidified their foundation
in C. C++ After all is a superset of the C language, and was originally a
preprocessor to C.

-->Neil

Neil Bradley Synthcom home : http://www.synthcom.com
Synthcom Systems, Inc. C++ - Where you can make your privates public!
ICQ # 29402898 Friends don't let newbie programmer friends do C++