Re: vector programming...

From: Andrew Wilson <atwilson_at_home.com>
Date: Mon Oct 04 1999 - 13:33:39 EDT

>One of the major things that I wanted to do was to put MAME into a window
>(TCanvas). Since MAME is written completely in C, Im not thinking that C++
>will like it unless *everything* is converted into objects. Which is a rather
>large job.

        It's pretty trivial to link C source with C++ source - you don't have
to do any conversion ; I did quite a bit of this on my last job. Just make
liberal use of the 'extern "C"' directive when declaring your external
functions, and link the object files together and you'll be just fine.

        That said, I think MAME is just *dying* to be rewritten in C++ - all
those Machine/Driver structures and function tables are just C++ objects done
the hard way. But I realize that's probably just my devoutly religious OO side
talking ;-P

>I suppose just leaving MAME in DOS and making an assember/editor
>within it may be easier but working in Windows beats DOS.
> Ideas?

        Does the Mame32 (Win-Mame) code not support the debugger/disassembler?
It's been a year or so since I've dug around in the MAME source (I lost
interest when I started collecting vids) so I don't quite remember how the
debugger stuff was integrated.

ObVector: I want to shower Roy (Chumblespuzz) with thanks for his Tempest
rebuild kit. If you haven't bought one yet, DO IT(!), unless you are one of
those deviants who likes a noisy, hard to turn spinner ;) I installed mine
this morning, and it makes an incredible difference. Hey, Roy - I forget -
are you thinking of doing Tempest CPO repros?

                        Drew